A Brief History...
Founded in 1906 by innovative young engineer, Frank Moore, Moore & Wright has been designing, manufacturing and supplying precision measuring equipment to global industry for over 100 years. With roots fixed firmly in Sheffield, England, the company began by manufacturing a range of calipers, screwdrivers, punches and other engineer’s tools. Following investment from Mrs Wright, a shrewd Sheffield businesswoman, Frank was able to expand the business and further develop his innovative designs.
By the mid-nineteen twenties, thanks to the company’s enviable reputation, Moore & Wright was approached by the UK Government to consider manufacturing a range of quality micrometers. It was in this field that Moore & Wright’s status as UK agent for the Swiss Avia range of products and subsequent acquisition of the Avia brand and manufacturing rights, proved invaluable. A set of working drawings was obtained from Switzerland and reworked based on popular American designs, whilst incorporating Moore & Wright’s own innovations. The ensuing range of high quality instruments resulted in world renown for Moore & Wright micrometers. These early, classic designs are regarded as the origin of today’s comprehensive range of micrometers, now used in every industrialised country throughout the world.
During World War Two, the overwhelming demand for Moore & Wright micrometers resulted in the opening of two further factories in England with production levels reaching an incredible 20,000 micrometers per month.
By the end of World War Two, control of the company had passed to Frank Moore’s daughter who subsequently sold the business to John Shaw Company in 1945. John Shaw recognised the skill and business acumen of the Moore & Wright staff granting them a level of autonomy. This allowed them to continue to develop innovative new products that could be marketed in both the UK and overseas. Soon the company was producing a diverse range of precision tools, including small hole gauges, telescopic gauges and a wide range of vernier calipers.
By the early 1950s Moore & Wright’s vastly expanded product portfolio and increased levels of production, meant that it had outgrown its current production sites. The answer to the company’s manufacturing bottlenecks was to be found in a new state-of-the-art production facility in Sheffield.
In 1970, Moore & Wright was acquired by the Neill Tools Group, when the John Shaw Company was purchased by Neill Tools, as part of its ongoing ambitious acquisition program. The years that followed saw an increased threat to company sales from products exported to the UK from overseas manufacturers. Helped by the purchase of well-known micrometer manufacturer, Shardlow and the quality caliper producer Bensons, Neill Tools jealously defended Moore & Wright’s business. The company also embarked on a progressive micrometer design and development programme. After adopting the suggested manufacturing and product design improvements, Moore & Wright launched Micro 2000, the world’s first hand-held electronic micrometer. The company was proud to be awarded the coveted Queens Award For Technological Achievement in 1977 for this groundbreaking new product.
Now part of the eminent Bowers Metrology Group and with production facilities in the UK and China, Moore & Wright continues its commitment to supplying worldwide industry with high quality, affordable products. Its ongoing pledge to research and development should ensure that this great British company remains at the forefront of global innovation.
Updated on August 01, 2012 07:17